- When installing an application in the Windows XP VM, make sure to install it for “all users.” Usually the install will place a shortcut under “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\.”
- Shortcuts added in the Windows XP VM to “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\” will usually be seamlessly added to Windows 7 under Start Menu > All Programs > Windows Virtual PC > Windows XP Mode Applications.
- You can manually add a shortcut to the Windows XP Mode application by creating a shortcut to the program in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\ directory in your Windows XP Mode installation.
- If the target in the Windows XP VM contains parameters, it may not get published to Windows 7 automatically. Try this in the Windows XP VM:
- Add the shortcut to the executable, without any parameters, to “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\”
- Wait for it to be automatically published to “Windows XP Mode Applications”
- Modify the target of the shortcut, in the Windows XP VM, to add back the required parameters.
- Managing and troubleshooting virtual applications in the Windows 7 Start menu
- Publishing Virtual Applications in Windows Virtual PC
- How to Install and Setup Virtual Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
- How to install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7
Last Updated on by