- Programmer Tools / Utilities
- Netcasts / Podcasts / Shows
- Best Practices / Advice
- Version Control / Source Control
- Test-Driven Development (TDD) / Unit Testing
- Programming Environments
- Migrating from Microsoft Access
- DAL (Data Access Layer)
- Microsoft SQL Server
Programmer Tools / Utilities
- RegExr is an online tool to learn, build, & test Regular Expressions (RegEx / RegExp).
Open Web Application Security Project (OWASP) is a 501(c)(3) worldwide not-for-profit charitable organization focused on improving the security of software.
- OWASP Top 10 Most Critical Web Application Security Risks
- OWASP Developer Guide
- OWASP Cheat Sheet Series was created to provide a concise collection of high value information on specific application security topics
Netcasts / Podcasts / Shows
- .NET Rocks is a weekly talk show for anyone interested in programming on the Microsoft .NET platform. The shows range from introductory information to hardcore geekiness.
- Show 1214 Testing and Craftsmanship with Scott Nimrod
- Keep Your Mind Sharp
- Improving Your Listening Skills
- Family: The Myth of the Work-Life Balance
- Overcoming Social Awkwardness with John Sonmez
Best Practices / Advice
- “Hack Yourself First,” by Troy Hunt, is all about developers building up cyber-offense skills and proactively seeking out security vulnerabilities in their own websites before an attacker does.
- The ghost who codes: how anonymity is killing your programming career By Troy Hunt
- How to Become a Better Programmer by Learning How You Understand Code by Stephen Young
- 5 Ways To Learn Programming Faster
- What Most Schools Don’t Teach
- What is the worst gotcha in C# or .NET?
- Coding Horror: Please Don’t Learn to Code
- Coding Horror: So You Want to be a Programmer
- SQL Injection is the manipulation of web based user input in order to gain direct access to a database or its functions.
- Practical Dev is a platform for developers to share ideas.
- Bringing the power of PowerShell to your build scripts
- SourceMaking: Design Patterns and Refactoring: Stories about good software architecture and how to create it with design patterns.
- What technical details should a programmer of a web application consider before making the site public?
- OWASP development guide covers Web Site security from top to bottom.
- Effective Learning Strategies for Programmers by Allison Kaptur
- InterviewBit is a platform to learn skills that you need for technology jobs. We help you polish your skills and get ready for the job, whether you are a fresh college graduate or a working professional.
- “They Didn’t Teach Us This”: A Crash Course for Your First Job in Software by Max Pekarsky
Version Control / Source Control
- GitHub is a web-based Git repository hosting service. It offers all of the distributed revision control and source code management (SCM) functionality of Git as well as adding its own features.
- Here are all the Git commands I used last week, and what they do.
- Try Git and Git Real at CodeSchool.com: Learn Git by practicing the concepts of Git version control.
- Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.
- Understanding git for real by exploring the .git directory by freeCodeCamp.org
- Git for Windows focuses on offering a lightweight, native set of tools that bring the full feature set of the Git SCM to Windows while providing appropriate user interfaces for experienced Git users and novices alike.
- Git Commands and Best Practices Cheat Sheet
- GitHub: Git Cheat Sheets: Looking for a quick reference sheet of Git commands or migration from SVN?
- CodeNewbie: How to Make a Pull Request
- msaccess-vcs-integration: Synchronize your Access Forms, Macros, Modules, Queries, and Reports with a version control system.
- gmaster takes a different approach compared to all the other Git clients: it is visually rich, includes great diff and merge tools plus semantic technology.
Test-Driven Development (TDD) / Unit Testing
- Test Driven Development (TDD)
- xUnit.net is a free, open source, community-focused unit testing tool for the .NET Framework.
- xUnit Test Patterns (book)
- Test-Driven Development Tutorial
Instructor(s): Steven Borg, Sachi Williamson
Wondering what all the hype is about with Test-Driven Development (TDD)? Find out, in this practical course. Take a lap around TDD, a test-first development approach that encourages rock-solid code and productivity in small increments. Learn why it is valuable and what the development cycle looks like. Then, apply those concepts to create some efficient unit tests.
- Why Good Developers Write Bad Unit Tests
- PHP Unit Testing in WordPress: WP Test is a library for quickly and easily setting up and executing WordPress unit and integration tests. It allows you to initialize an automated test suite on any new or existing WordPress theme, plugin or full website project.
WordPress is a free and open-source content management system (CMS) written in PHP and paired with a database. Features include a plugin architecture and a template system. – Wikepedia
- A content management system (CMS) is a tool which helps you build a website without needing to write code.
- According to W3Techs, WordPress powers 43% of all the websites on the Internet, including those without a content management system (CMS) or with a custom-coded CMS.
- A free, fully-featured, and extensible IDE (Integrated Development Environment) for creating modern applications for Windows, Android, and iOS, as well as web applications and cloud services.
- Visual Studio Community is free for individual developers, open source projects, academic research, education, and small professional teams.
- CodeLens is available only in Visual Studio Enterprise and Visual Studio Professional editions. It is not available in Visual Studio Community edition.
- Create an offline installer for Visual Studio
- Visual Studio Code is a streamlined code editor and is cross-platform – supporting Mac, Linux, and Windows.
- Has support for development operations like syntax highlighting, debugging, task running and version control.
- LINQPad is not just for LINQ queries, but any C# / F# / VB expression, statement block or program.
- Uncle Bob’s Principles of OOD (Object Oriented Design)
- Developer’s Guide to Microsoft Prism Library 5.0 for WPF
- Connection Strings Reference
- ASP.NET MVC (Model-View-Controller)
- Developer Code Samples (Microsoft Developer Network)
- EbookFoundation / free-programming-books
Migrating from Microsoft Access
- SQL Server Migration Assistant for Access (AccessToSQL)
- UtterAccess Forums > Microsoft SQL Server
- The Access Developer’s Path to Learning MVC 5
- Convert VBA Code to Transact-SQL
DAL (Data Access Layer)
- DataAccess by Bonnie: A series of posts regarding techniques to break you free from the designers, yet retain the benefits of Strongly Typed Datasets:
Microsoft SQL Server
- SQL Server Database Engine Blog
- SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) is an integrated environment for accessing, configuring, managing, administering, and developing all components of SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. Use SQL Server Management Studio’s Import/Export wizard to migrate data into SQL Server.
- Import and Export Bulk Data by Using the bcp Utility (SQL Server)
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)