A screen capture or screen grab, also know as a screen shot or print screen, is a digital image which recording of the contents of a computer screen, tablet, or phone display.
When you need to capture a window, rectangular area, or free-form area of a screen or window, and annotate it, these utilities will fit the bill.
- ShareX is a free and open source program that lets you capture or record any area of your screen and share it with a single press of a key.
- Free, Open source, No advertisements, Lightweight, Over 15 years of active development
- GIF/MP4 Recording
- Scrolling screen recording
- Powerful editor
- Automated image searching
- Automated upload processes
- Automated photo manipulation
- QR Code Creation & Decoding
- Color Picker
- Warning! Either disable auto upload or be very careful about what you screenshot. You wouldn’t want confidential information to get automatically uploaded to public image hosts, like Imgur.
- How to Use ShareX (Beginners Guide) – YouTube
- ShareX Freeware & OpenSource Screen capture and screen recording software – Tutorial of basics
- Workflows: To see the keystrokes
- Keyboard shortcut: Ctrl + PrtScn to select an area of the screen.
- After capture tasks (Items are bold when enabled)
- Enable “Open in Image Editor”
- Application Settings
- Integration: Enable “Run ShareX when Windows starts”
- Settings > Export
- Advanced > Upload: ShowUploadWarning = True
- Task Settings
- General > Notifications: Disable sound so they don’t distract when presenting or on a call.
- To prevent exposing sensitive information, it’s important to disable auto upload until you fully understand how this function works.
- Destination > Destination Settings > Image uploaders > Imgur: Change “Account type” from Anonymous to User, but don’t enter credentials.
ShareX Deleting Uploaded Files
- Right-click on the image log
- Open > Deletion URL
Greenshot is a light-weight screenshot software tool for Windows and macOS with the following key features:
- Quickly create screenshots of a selected region, window or fullscreen.
- Easily annotate, highlight or obfuscate parts of the screenshot.
- Export the screenshot in various ways: save to file, send to printer, copy to clipboard, attach to e-mail, send Office programs or upload to photo sites like Flickr or Picasa, and others.
- Greenshot has more features and flexibility than Snip & Sketch.
- Keyboard shortcuts: PrtScn screen selection, Alt PrtScr capture the active window.
- Note: The last stable release of Greenshot was 2017.
Recommended Settings for Greenshot
- Capture tab: Enable – Editor: Match capture size
- Destination tab: Disable “Select destination dynamically” and choose “Open in image editor.
Snip & Sketch
Snip & Sketch, which replaces the Snipping Tool on Windows, can capture a screen shot, or snip, of any object on your screen, and then annotate, save, or share the image.
- Keyboard shortcut: Windows Logo Key + Shift + S
Snipping Tool Missing?
Snipping Tool is part of Tablet Tools. To enable Snipping Tools go to: Control Panel > Program and Features > Turn Windows Features on or off. Then turn on Tablet Tools.