- 1 News & Tools
- 2 Self-Evaluation
- 3 VLAN (Virtual Local Area Network)
- 4 InterVLAN Routing
- 5 VLAN Diagnostic Commands
- 6 VLAN Resources
- 7 Read / Watch / Do
- 8 Study for Exam 2
- 9 Better Focus and Efficient Studying When Not Multitasking
News & Tools
- Adventures in Networking: Part history, part tutorial, all interesting by Paul Lutus
- Zero-configuration networking (zeroconf) is a set of technologies that automatically creates a usable computer network based on the Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) when computers or network peripherals are interconnected. It does not require manual operator intervention or special configuration servers.
- At this point in the semester, you should be confident in your understanding of Cisco IOS, routing protocols, etc., to complete Lab-04 (OSPF, Serial, DHCP), using only the network diagram as your guide, with 100% accuracy, in less than 30 minutes.
- If that’s not the case, then you must practice, practice, practice, to gain the necessary skills and confidence.
- Practice makes improvement.
- VLAN 1 is the default Ethernet VLAN
- VLANs 1002 through 1005 are automatically created and cannot be deleted
- What are the maximum number of VLANs, including the reserved VLANs?
- What is the purpose of a Trunk port?
- IEEE 802.1Q Encapsulation
- A Stub router, One-armed router or Router on a Stick (RonS) is a router configured to route traffic between virtual local area networks (VLANs).
- It has only a single Ethernet NIC that is part of two or more Virtual LANs, enabling them to be joined.
- The physical interface is divided into logical interfaces (known as sub-interfaces), one for each VLAN, configured as trunk interfaces.
- Search: Router on a Stick
- A Switch Virtual Interfaces (SVI) represents a logical Layer 3 interface on a switch.
- VLANs divide broadcast domains in a LAN environment. Whenever hosts in one VLAN need to communicate with hosts in another VLAN, the traffic must be routed between them. This is known as inter-VLAN routing. On Layer 3 switches it is accomplished by the creation of Layer 3 interfaces (SVIs).
VLAN Diagnostic Commands
- S1# show vlan
- S1# show vlan brief
- S1# show interface trunk
- S1# show interfaces switchport
- S1# show interface fa0/15 switchport
- S1# show running-config
- S1# show arp
- S1# clear arp
- What is a VLAN? How to Setup a VLAN on a Cisco Switch
- VLANs and Trunks for Beginners – Part 1 (video)
- How to Configure VLANs in the Cisco IOS by David Davis (video) (InterVLAN routing)
- Cisco’s Overview of Routing between VLANs
- How to define the VLANs allowed on a trunk link
- S1(config-if)# switchport trunk allowed vlan remove 5-10,12
- InterVLAN Routing – Routing between VLAN Networks
Read / Watch / Do
- Read Chapter :
- Do the Written Labs
- Answer the Review Questions
- Do not submit your answers for this chapter. The answers are in Appendix.