Podcasts / Photographer Interviews
- The Candid Frame: Conversations on Photography: Each week host Ibarionex R. Perello brings in-depth, intimate and thoughtful conversations with photographers on living a photographic life.
- A Photographic Life podcast where photographers answer “What photography means to me?” Hosted by Grant Scott of The United Nations of Photography.
- 10 Frames Per Second: A podcast about photojournalism, with photojournalists, for everyone. You can also listen on Sun. 11am-12pm on WLOY radio, or subscribe via iTunes.
- LensWork – Photography and the Creative Process: The longest running podcast on photography. Short 5-10 min comments on photography and the creative process.
- Art of Visuals a Content series to inspire the creators, the mavericks, the hustlers, and the visionaries who believe that art and creativity have the power to impact and change culture. This series shares real authentic stories direct from the world’s most talented creative community.
- Advancing Your Photography: Marc Silber: Photography tips, inspiration and insight straight from professional photographers.
- “Create: Tools from Seriously Talented People to Unleash Your Creative Life“, interviews of many successful creative people, who share useful tools to help you unleash your creativity, whether you are an artist looking to focus your energy in a positive direction, or someone who wants to add more creativity into your daily life.
- The Pro Photographer Journey – Learn the craft directly from seasoned professional photographers. Join us as award-winning photographers discuss the lessons they’ve learned over the years, as well as tips, tricks, and how they have overcome their mistakes to become respected, ever-advancing professionals in their field.
Photographers / Galleries / History
- Platon (born Platon Antoniou) is a British portrait and documentary photographer.
- Platon was profiled in the first season of the Netflix docu-series Abstract: The Art of Design (“Platon: Photography” S01E07)
- His photographs have been featured on the cover of well-known magazines including Time, Esquire, George, and the New Yorker.
- Platon founded the People’s Portfolio, a non-profit foundation that aspires to create a visual language that breaks barriers, expands dignity, fights discrimination, and enlists the public to support human rights around the world.
- Yagazie Emezi is a documentary photographer from Aba, Nigeria focused on stories surrounding African women and their health, sexuality, education and human rights.
- Jay Myself documents the monumental move of renowned photographer and artist, Jay Maisel, who, in February 2015 after forty-eight years, begrudgingly sold his home—the 36,000 square-foot, 100-year-old landmark building in Manhattan known simply as “The Bank.” Through the intimate lens of filmmaker and Jay’s protégé, noted artist and photographer Stephen Wilkes, the viewer is taken on a remarkable journey through Jay’s life as an artist, mentor, and man; a man grappling with time, life, change, and the end of an era in New York City.
- Do Not Bend: The Photographic Life of Bill Jay (DoNotBendFilm.com)
- Haze Kware, photographer and videographer. Works with dancers, circus artists, and athletes, in non-standard locations. Hk Visuals on YouTube.com
- Magnum Photos: News, Arts & Culture, and Photography
- 500px – Join over 15 million photographers from 195 countries to discover and share incredible photos, gain global exposure, and get paid for your work and skills.
- Flickr is one of the most popular and oldest photo sharing sites in the world.
- 1x.com is curated by a group of professionals. That means, after uploading your photograph, is going to be approved or disapproved by a group of professional photographers.
- DxOMark: Independent source for image quality benchmarks for phones and cameras.
- Sony α7 III (ILCE-7M3) Full-Frame Mirror-less Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera.
Back Button Focus (BBF)
- Whether to use back button AF on Sony by Adam Brown
- Photography Tips and Tricks: BackFocus Button – Episode 52
- Clean Your Sensor by Tony & Chelsea Northrup
- 20 Things Most Photographers Get Wrong by Tony & Chelsea Northrup
- BobAtkins.com: Lens Testing for Resolution, Chromatic Aberration and Distortion
- Top 10 Composition Tips – Photography Course Pt 3 by Chris Bray Photography
- 20 Composition Techniques That Will Improve Your Photos by Barry O’Carroll
- How to Start Using Aperture Priority and How It Will Change Your Photography by Andy Day (Fstoppers.com)
- Why Auto ISO and Minimum Shutter Speed Will Change the Way You Shoot by Andy Day (Fstoppers.com)
- How to Nail Exposure using Manual Mode by Sean Tucker
Tips: Color Space: sRGB vs AdobeRGB vs ProPhotoRGB
RAW images are not restricted to a color space. The color space is determined when you export the image. For the Web and other electronic devices, export to sRGB. For printing, use AdobeRGB. If the target is a high gamut printer, then export to ProPhotoRGB.
- Will Crockett – Should You Shoot sRGB or AdobeRGB? by The Gary Fong Channel
- Why you NEED to understand COLOUR SPACE! by Peter McKinnon
- Color Spaces CLARIFIED – 3 Reasons Why ProPhotoRGB DESERVES your Attention by StyleMyPic
- Color Theory Basics EVERY Photographer MUST know! by StyleMyPic
- Skin Tones in Portraits: Canon vs Sony and How to Correct by Sean Tucker
Tips: Low Light
- Cheat Sheet: How to Get Better at Low Light Photography (ThePhoblographer.com)
- Low Light Portraiture: How to Make the Most of Ambient Lighting ( ThePhoblographer.com )
- Useful Photography Tip #120: Underexpose Musicians With Bright Lights on Them
- Fast Low-Light AF when using Sony Alpha Cameras by Mark Galer’s Alpha Creative Skills
Copyright for Photographers
- Copyright For Photographers with the Copyright Zone Guys Ed Greenberg and Jack Reznicki
- Photo Copyright Registration Workflow by Steve Brazill (BehindTheShot.tv)
Clubs, MeetUps, Organizations
- Free NYC Photography Workshops by Adorama, NYC (MeetUp.com)
- NY Photo & Safari Meetup NYC (MeetUp.com)
- Photography Meetups in New York City (MeetUp.com)
- Professional Photographers of America (PPA) : A nonprofit that was created by photographers, for photographers in order to help those who want to take photography and entrepreneurship to the next level and develop profitable and sustainable businesses.
News, Reviews, Interviews, Articles, Photos
- The United Nations of Photography is a meeting place for people who wish to share opinions, for those who are engaged with building the new image making and storytelling landscape and for those who want to know more. Founded, curated and edited by Grant Scott.
- Art of Visuals is a globally recognized media company behind the largest photography community on social media. Be visually inspired. Tips, Tutorials, Podcast, AoV App.
- The Phoblographer: The Psychology of Creative Photography
- Digital Photography Review : Photography news, reviews, tutorials, etc.
- Fstoppers : Photography news, reviews, tutorials, etc.
- Digital Camera World
- DIY Photography (or DIYP for short) started in 2006 as a place for gear lusting photographers (hence the name), it has quickly evolved into a place of inspiration, education, gear chat and a place for photographers to hang out.
- PetaPixel: Photography & camera, news, reviews, and inspiration.
- Imaging Resource: Digital camera reviews, photography news, tutorials.
- 17 Best Podcasts for Photographers (PhotoShelter.com)
- Alpha Universe
- Reddit: Sony Alpha Cameras
- Fredmiranda.com is a photography news, equipment review, forum, and fine art presentation website.
- LensWork Daily Podcast, On Photography and the Creative Process
- Peak Design Slide Lite Strap for Mirrorless Cameras
- iFootage Cobra 2 C180 Monopod
- SmallRig Half Cage with Arca L-Bracket for Sony A7III A7RIII 2236
- This Half Cage is better than the L-Bracket 2122, because the design for the battery cover, and the dimensions of the Arca-Swiss mounts have been revised (Feb. 2019).
- RAW file image editing, and tethered capture.
- Capture One Express Sony is an award winning imaging editor for supported Sony cameras. The Express version is free.
- Adobe Lightroom and Capture One Pro Close-Up By Martin Evening
- Top 10 Reasons I won’t be switching to Capture One Pro by Mark Galer
- Free online image editor supporting PSD, XCF, Sketch, XD and CDR formats. (Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, Sketch App, Adobe XD, and CorelDRAW)
- Create a new image or open existing files from your computer.
- SAve your work as PSD or as JPG/PNG;SVG.
- Darktable is an open source photography workflow application and raw developer. A virtual light table and darkroom for photographers. It manages your digital negatives in a database, lets you view them through a zoomable light table and enables you to develop raw images and enhance them.
- Free Lightroom Alternative: Darktable Review by GDquest
- Used to decode and read “Image Count” on Sony A7 III
- Download the Windows Executable (.zip)
- Add the EXE to the Desktop
- Copy an image to the Desktop
- Drag the image on top of exiftool.exe to have the image open with exiftool
- In the windows that opens, scroll down to “Image Count”
- Picture Information Extractor (PIE) is an unique picture browser and viewer with photo metadata and file renaming features.
- It extracts EXIF, XMP and IPTC from JPG, TIF and RAW files.
- Reads the EXIF Makernote block, which is proprietary and can usually only be read with special software from the camera maker. It contains information such as program mode, white balance settings or lens data
- Note: Doesn’t work for reading “Image Count” for Sony A7 III, as the value displayed is always zero.
- Sony SD Scan Utility helps you check the condition of your SD memory card. By scanning the flash memory, it tells you whether your SD memory card is working in good condition or is about to reach the limit.
- Recuva can recover pictures, music, documents, videos, e-mails or any other file type you’ve lost. And it can recover from any rewrite-able media you have: memory cards, external hard drives, USB Flash drives, etc.
- Sony RAW Driver is a program to display Sony RAW data* (ARW/SR2/SRF files) on Microsoft Windows.
- By installing this program, you can display the RAW data in Explorer or Photo Gallery on Microsoft Windows in the same way as JPEG files.
- Images may look rough when enlarged on Photo Gallery, but they can be displayed properly in the supplied software or other supported software.
- A remote shooting application that lets you perform shooting operations while checking the images in Live View on the large screen of a computer or on a mobile phone. (i.e. Tethered Shooting)
- Transfer images to your mobile phone in real-time.
- Enables viewing images in list display, to select and add ratings.
- RAW development application achieves high quality developed image.
- Imaging Edge Mobile is an application that replaces Play Memories Mobile.
- BorrowLenses.com : Rent professional cameras or camera lenses for Sony, Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Leica, and Pentax