What is a Vegan Lifestyle?
Veganism, as defined by the Vegan Society, is “a way of living that seeks to exclude, as far as possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals, for food, clothing or any other purpose.“
A vegan lifestyle is free from all animal products, whether derived by slaughter (such as meat, chicken, and fish), or otherwise (such as eggs, dairy and honey).
Education / Reference
- Position of the American Dietetic Association: vegetarian diets
- It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases. Well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes. A vegetarian diet is defined as one that does not include meat (including fowl) or seafood, or products containing those foods.
- Why Honey is Not Vegan
- How to Make Disease Disappear by Dr. Rangan Chatterjee
- A much-needed accessible plan to prevent and reverse disease, and discover a path to sustainable, long-term health from an acclaimed international doctor and star of the BBC program Doctor in the House.
- Listen to: Rangan Chatterjee, MD on How to Make Disease Disappear (Interiew with Rich Roll)
- 10 Takeaways from Dr. Rangan Chatterjee’s Interview for Broken Brain
- Rangan Chatterjee: How to Make Diseases Disappear at TEDxLiverpool (Transcript)
- Doctor In The House | Only Human (EP01, S01)
- How Not to Die: Discover the Foods Scientifically Proven to Prevent and Reverse Disease by Dr. Michael Greger
- “The Book That Saved My Life” – Eric Adams
Brooklyn Borough President, Eric Adams, uses How Not to Die as a guide to help reverse type 2 diabetes and improve his health.
- On the NY Times Best Seller list, Dec. 2016
- Available from Amazon.com
- Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death
- Dr. Michael Greger’s NutritionFacts.org is a non-commercial, science-based source for the latest in nutrition.
- Uprooting the leading causes of death by Michael Greger, M.D. [NutritionFacts.org]
- “The Book That Saved My Life” – Eric Adams
- Resources for Plant-Based Nutrition: Learn about a whole food, plant-based dietary lifestyle. Best-in-class tools and resources.
- The 7 Habits of Happy, Healthy Vegans by The Vegan RD
- Frequently Asked Vegan Health Questions (YourDailyVegan.com)
- Vegan 2016 – The Film : An overview of what’s been happening through 2016 surrounding the increased awareness of the health and environmental benefits of a plant based diet.
- Vegan 2017 – The Film : Plant Based News’ end of year film Vegan 2017
- Vegan Nutrition Information Basics 101 by Mark Rifkin, MS, RD, LDN
- Essentials of Vegan Nutrition and a Vegan Diet (download in PDF format- 282kb)
- 5 Amazing Health Benefits of Embracing a Plant-Based Diet
- Vegan.com: Tips, Reviews, Recipes
- 10 Surprising Animal Ingredients Lurking on Store Shelves by Natalie Williams | Vegans know to avoid gelatin, lactose, and honey, but what about those other, unrecognizable ingredients found in packaged foods?
- LiveKindly: Vegan & Plant-Based News, Recipes and Resources
- Is It Vegan is a mobile tool for anyone interested in eliminating animal products from their diet.
- Is your booze vegan?
- Raw Food for Life : Tips for getting started, Recommended Videos & Books, Recipes.
- Why Vegans Health is Superior to Meat, Dairy and Egg Eaters?
- We’re Done With The Excuses (Mercy for Animals)
- Brown Vegan (Monique)
- Vegan Starter Kit
- Episode #68 How to Go Vegan & Stay FLY with Brandi from Vegan Glamazon
- Episode #65 Why You Need to Finally Ditch Dairy | A Convo with Michelle of World of Vegan
- Episode #60 How to Survive Thanksgiving As A Vegan | A Convo with Michelle Johnson of Vegan Cooking with Love
- Episode #59 Why Representation is So Important in the Vegan Movement | A Conversation with Herbanistic
- Episode #45 Where Do I Start?
- Episode #35 2 Key Steps You Must Take If You Want to Be A Vegan
- Episode #30 How Elvis Gardin Helped His Mom Ditch All of Her Medication
- Episode #17 Four Mindset Shifts To Go Vegan In The New Year
- Episode #8 A Candid Conversation with Vegan Cooking with Love (Michelle Johnson)
- Ordinary Vegan
- Recipes, Vegan Essentials, Podcast, Videos
- Podcast #1 – Getting Started on a Vegan Diet
- Podcast #7 – Is Your Dinner A Threat To The Environment?
- Podcast #19 – Heart Attack Symptoms For Women & How They Are Different From Men
- Podcast #20 – The Frightening Facts About Dairy Milk
- Podcast #23 – The Cheese Trap: How To Break A Surprising Addiction with Dr. Neal Barnard
- Podcast #25 – How To Protect Your Brain From Memory Loss, Dementia and Alzheimer’s Disease
- How Overfishing Impacts Humanity & The Risks of Eating Fish
Vitamins & Minerals
Vitamin B12 helps the body’s nerve and blood cells stay healthy. It also plays a critical role in the creation of DNA.
- Scientists Say They Have Discovered Vitamin B12 In Water Lentils (a.k.a. duckweed)
- Vitamin B12: How Much Do You And Your Vegan Kids Need?
- Water Lentils: A water lentil is a small flowering plant that grows on fresh water in tropical climates around the world. In 2013, the Food & Agriculture Organization recognized water lentils as “a tiny aquatic plant with enormous potential for agriculture and environment.” Water lentils have a nutrient density comparable to kale & spinach, more calcium than milk, are packed with essential vitamins & minerals, and have the highest quality plant protein.
Organic Food & Pesticides
Organic food is food produced by methods that comply with the standards of organic farming. Standards vary worldwide, but organic farming in general features practices that strive to cycle resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Organizations regulating organic products may restrict the use of certain pesticides and fertilizers in farming. In general, organic foods are also usually not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents or synthetic food additives. Organic foods are not genetically modified.
- The Shocking Difference Between Organic & Non-GMO Labels. It’s Huge! By Food Babe
- Environmental Working Group’s 2018 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce
- The truth about organic produce and pesticides: , 2018
- Known and Probable Human Carcinogens by Cancer.org
- Glyphosate in Food: Complete List of Products and Brands Filled with Dangerous Weed-Killer by LiveLoveFruit.com
Everyone has a right to know what they are eating and what chemicals are used in the foods they consume.
“GMO” technically has a broad definition that has come to be understood in a much narrower sense since the introduction of genetically engineered plants into the food system. Broadly, genetic modification occurs whenever a plant breeder selects to cross two plants in hopes of producing offspring with a desired trait. Since the advent of genetic engineering, however, the term “GMO” typically describes plants that have been genetically engineered. Genetic engineering describes the introduction of a gene from a different species than the host so that the plant expresses a trait not genetically normal for its species, such as the production of pesticides. 1
- GMO Impossible Burger Positive for Carcinogenic Glyphosate by Moms Across America
- GMO’s Revealed
- GMOs CARRY POISON. People and animals that eat genetically modified food crops are consuming high levels of toxic glyphosate herbicide. There is an unholy marriage of toxic Glyphosate herbicide and foods genetically engineered to tolerate large doses of it. It’s silently poisoning our land, food, and US!
- Non-GMO Project
- The World According to Monsanto ( #GMO #rBGH #Health #Environment #FDA )
- Seeds of Death: Unveiling The Lies of GMO’s Gary Null ( #GMO )
- Top 10 Worst GMO Foods for Your GMO Foods List
- Environmental Working Group
- In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan
- An Unhealthy Truth by Robyn O’Brien
- Seedless Watermelon: Hybrid, GMO, or Chemically Altered Mutant? By Son Shepard, Jan 16, 2015 (LiberalAmerica.life)
- NotMilk‘s goals are to help you find the whole truth about cow’s milk and dairy quickly … and to provide quality online resources.
- How The Dairy Industry Tricked Humans Into Believing They Need Milk
- Debunking The Milk Myth: Why Milk Is Bad For You And Your Bones
- Vegan Milk Guide: There are a multitude of problems associated with dairy products, so it’s exciting that vegan milks are gaining ground at the dairy industry’s expense.
- 10 Dairy-Free Foods Packed With Calcium (OneGreenPlanet.org)
- 12,000 Doctors Just Urged the FDA to Put Cancer Warnings on Cheese: Doctors are petitioning the FDA to place health warnings on cheese products. Studies have linked dairy consumption with a higher risk of breast cancer.
Psychology / Behavior / Carnism / Speciesism
- Toward Rational, Authentic Food Choices | Melanie Joy | TEDxMunchen
- Eating Animals and the Illusion of Personal Choice
- Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism
- Understanding the Psychology of Meat for Effective Vegan Advocacy
- What is speciesism?
- Speciesism, the Movie
- The Vegan Red Pill [ Free Your Mind & Escape The Matrix ]
- How to Lose Weight Without Losing Your Mind: Presentation by Doug Lisle, Ph.D
- If you think that you have to eat less food, and exercise to lose weight, then you’ve lost your mind. You’ll end up with a ferocious hunger drive and great frustration, then it becomes an exercise in supreme willpower.
- The Omnivore’s Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Diets: Paleo, Keotegenic
- Why I Quit Paleo Ketogenic Diet & Went Plant-Based – Dr. Lim (Plant Based News)
- Ketosis v. Plant-Based – Diet Wars with Cardiologist Joel Kahn, MD (Rich Roll Podcast #349)